I am the proud mom of a three year old sassy and bossy little book nerd. From the moment she was born I started reading to her and introducing her into the magical world of books so no wonder now she has her favourite ones.
Some she knows by heart and loves to “read” to me and some she just wants me to read over and over again every day.
She’s got a wild imagination and I am so happy watching her create games based on the stories we read (not to mention that this is how I get time to write my blog and grab a decent cup of coffee before it gets cold).
Recently I done a post regarding the books that took my breath away and I thought why not do one about my child’s favourite ones as well.
Here is the top five books for my toddler:
1. THE GRUFFALO – the story, the noisy book, the sticker book – anything Gruffalo related is her obsession. She learned it all and I often find her in bed reading about the little brown mouse and his adventures in the woods.
2. WE’RE GOING ON A BEAR HUNT – she got this one for her second birthday (exactly one year ago) and still didn’t have enough of it. It is such a simple and cute family story and she makes me read it ten times before bed, joining in and repeating: “OH no. We can’t go over it. We can’t go under it. W e got to go through it”
3. GIRAFFES CAN’T DANCE- this was another present for her second birthday and I have to admit that is one of my favourites as well. Such a beautiful story about Beaty and being different. We read it any time of the day and my daughter will copy Gerald’s dance moves and try play the violin like the cricket. She is sad and she is happy with the giraffe and at the end she will always say: “Wow. Mummy, this is so beautiful!”
4. ROOM ON THE BROOM – Julia Donaldson is a must in our house and her books are just perfect for toddlers. The story of the good witch is a true lesson of friendship and support. The magic words are often used for play time and we even had to buy a wand.
5. THE UGLY FIVE – is another amazing read from Julia Donaldson and I love reading it to my daughter. The wildebeest, warthog, vulture, hyena and marabou stork swagger proudly across the savannah, rejoicing in their ugliness – and delighting their babies, who think they’re perfect just the way they are.
These are the best books in our house and we always have them handy. Ruby loves reading in her bed or the teepee joining in with me every time.
She is three years old in just one day and it’s only the begging of her journey.
The book store is always our to go place and she will wonder around for quite some time until she’ll decide on what to grab.
I remember we went on the South Bank for a walk and the place where she stopped and felt like home for her was the book market. She ran along admiring adult and children’s books showing me what she wants and smiling to everyone’s delight.
For this post I linked up with Laura Summers, Bookbairn and Acorn Books for the #KLTR campaign (kids love to read). Check out the link and see who else is there and what are best books for our children.